Friday, October 5, 2012

1st day of observation - ie best day so far!

Yesterday was the first day of observation and I LOVED it! I went to several classes and interacted with the students! They asked me questions and I got to help out with their oral and writing skills! It was so fantastic! I had a full day and was so glad not to be lonely and board!

Everything about yesterday was great!
For lunch, I went to a local boulangerie and picked up a jambon cru sandwich. It was a baguette with butter, pickles, ham, tomatoes, lettuce, and cheese. Man oh man was it good! I have never had butter on a sandwich before, but I have to say, it was goooodddd! Oh and get this. In the salle de profs a crepe maker was there during lunch making free crepes and severing wine! Haha of course I didn't pass on that. I got a crepe with caramel. mmmmm sooo tasty and the first crepe I've had since I've been here!

Crepe maker!



After school was over, Pascal, an English teacher, showed me around the school! I got to see the student kitchens and the American bar. It was great.

He invited me to dinner with him and his girlfriend Carolyn who is a former American assistant and is now living in France. They are the nicest people and so glad to have met them - so generous and fun!
But before we headed to their house, we stopped by his friend Dider's patisserie  - which is probs the best in the city! And Dider gave me a tour of his kitchen!!! It was so awesome!! Dider is a wonderful, happy, and full of life kind of man and gave me a bag of chocolates and gave us macroons (chocolate and expresso)! Plus, he is having a cooking class at the first of November about macroons and yes, I definitely plan to go!
Bag of chocolates - so divine!
For dinner, we made a traditional and very local meal of potatoes and morteau sausage (very large sausage) topped with Mont d'Or cheese. Now let me tell you a little about this cheese. First of all, it is like heaven. So it comes in a round wooden crate that is specially carved from the trunks of cheese. Then you wrap the base of it in aluminum, cut a hole out of the top of the cheese and pour in white wine. Then bake in oven on about 350 for about 20-25 minutes til golden brown on top. Then you pour the cheese on top of the potatoes and sausage. Oh my word. Can you say French Soul Food. It was so delicious. Plus, they said the cheese is also very good cold or served on bread!

Now to the alcohol we had. First I had a Belgium Beer - Leffe. It was a light beer and very good, I recommend trying it!
Then for dinner we had a wonderful, local Chardonnay. A very good, full-bodied wine made by a 91 year old man named Aime Rodet who lives right down the road. This Chardonnary had more of a nutty taste, and man oh man, so fantastic!  I hope to visit his vineyard soon.
The Chardonnay I had for dinner
This weekend, some assistants and I are going to visit Lons-le-Saunier and go to a wine and food fest in Arbois and may even do a bit of hiking! I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment