Friday, October 5, 2012




Hello again!
I have so much to talk about since my last post! So I'm going to make 2 posts!
So as I said, I went Besancon for my orientation. It was a very long and overwhelming day and I have to say my oh my do the French love their paperwork - I have so much to fill out! However, it was fantastic to finally meet other assistants in my region and also meet Bianca and Jess - 2 girls I had been talking to on facebook before I arrived! And Besancon was a much bigger city than Poligny, they actually had real stores and an actual museum  - not just one for cheese like here haha. It's only about 1h30 minutes from Poligny and a cool city!
View of Besancon








The next day was a free day for me and absolutely a gorgeous day in Poligny -finally a little warmer and sunny!! So naturally I had to go on a walk and soak up the sun! I had my roommate Lina go with me and we just meandered around Poligny for a while! The natural beauty of this area is absolutely breathtaking and I have to keep telling myself that this is real life - I am actually living in a quaint, movie like, French town!!




Gorgeous right?! I wish you could all be here with me!!

But after this oh so tiring walk, Lina and I went to a wine tasting at the Caveau des Jacobins, which is a wine cave literally 1 minute from the apartment!
This wine cave is inside an old church and there were giant barrels of wine along the corridor. It created a cool atmosphere honestly - highlighting the link between history and wine. 


So since I live so close, I decided just to try the white wine selection that afternoon.
The Chardonnay - quite nice, very drinkable, and very light. It was one of my favorites from today. It is from the area - Arbois - which is the town over.
Bethanie - a mix of chardonnay and sauvignon. It had a very odd taste to me. Can't quite describe it, more acidic maybe. Not my favorite but the lady said it went well with Comte cheese (the cheese of this area) - naturally hah
Vin Jaune - a very specific wine only in this region! It has an intersting story behind it. So it stays in the barrel for 6 years and 3 months - yes 6 years. And on February 2 there have a festival called PercĂ©e du Vin Jaune - literally meaning to piece the barrel of the wine and many wine vendors from all over the area come and you get to tour around and try all the wine. Trust me, I will be attending.  Anyways, the vin jaune is also in a different size bottle than normal wines. 
I liked that taste of this wine, it also had a bit of a nutty taste. Quite nice but a little heavier. Every bottle is different. I tried one from Arbois and one from Cotes du Jura and I preferred the Cote de Jura better... same year, just different land. 
Vin Jaune - different type of bottle

 Anyways, I plan to make several more stops at the Cave! 

No comments:

Post a Comment