Monday, October 22, 2012

A bit of traveling

Hello! So I have so much to catch y'all up on I don't even know where to begin!
First of all, I have to say that I am absolutely in love with this country  - I am so very happy right now!

So I have been doing a lot since this past weekend! I visited a fellow assistant in Saint Claude, which is in the upper Jura region. It is the capital of pipe making and they had pipes everywhere - flower arrangements, murals, statues - it was amusing!
Pipe statue in the center of city
Me and a pipe quote

 But unlike Poligny, which is in the first plateau of the Jura, Saint Claude is the in 2nd plateau and the terrain is quite different! Unlike Poligny, where I am surrounded by gorgeous vineyards and rolling hills (yes my life is like a movie right now), Saint Claude is a much more industrial city surrounded by huge mountains and lots and lots of uphill climbs - quite a workout!
 My visit was lovely - Saturday was a huge market day! In the morning, there was a giant food market both covered and uncovered - it had everything I could want - cheese, honey, meats, fish, fresh and vibrant fruits and veggies! I had to restrain myself from buying up the place! Then that afternoon, there was a huge clothing outdoor market that only happens once a month and I just happened to be there! Can you say perfect timing? :) I purchased a cute grey sweater for only 15 euros and it looks great if I say so myself... 
The covered food market in Saint Cladue
 For lunch that day we had a delicious and quite memorable meal! We went to a little local restaurant and got the menu fixe for the day. For 12 euros we got three courses. So the first course was a delightful salad of simple greens, tomato slices, hard boiled egg, and topped with simple dressing of olive oil and herbs. Then the main course was slices of roasted pork, thick steak fries, and this delectable mushroom sauce - I could have licked the bowl - so rich yet light. Then for dessert I chose the raspberry tart. Good decision. It was a sugar cookie like crust, but not as sweet. Topped with a light layer of vanilla custard, then topped with rows of fresh raspberries, and of course of side of fresh whipped cream! It was delicious and so fresh!

So from Saint Claude we went to Besancon, which is the capital city of the Franche-comte region (the region I am in). We had our second day of training there on Monday and our medical examinations on Tuesday.
So on Monday night we spent the night with one of my professor's brother and neighbor. They live in a little suburb outside of Besancon- a lovely area! So let me tell you about the fantastic dinner we had! Oh it was amazing!!

So he fixed us a traditional Franche-Comte meal - Cheese and bread fondue. So we chopped up a lot of cheese - comte, swiss, and a blue cheese. Then in a fondue pot he mixed together all the cheese and added wine. Then to make it more bubbly, he added baking soda and flour to a glass of wine and then added it to the fondue. So for dinner I literally ate just bread and cheese and a light salad. But the wine we had was fantastic, another typical Jura wine - called a Savagnin- once again has that nutty taste of walnuts. Really becoming my favorite!
The savagnin wine                                  

So the next day, I explored Besancon a bit and we went to the Citadel, which is an old military fortress on the top of the city! And when I say on the top, I mean it! We walked all the way to the top and oh my goodness it was a trek! I had my 30 pound backpack on from my travels and there were A LOT of steps - whew I was so glad when I finally made it! The view was absolutely breathtaking - and definitely worth the trek!



View from the top - Queen's View







I really enjoyed my visit to Besancon - it was a bigger city, but not too big and has some great shopping! I plan to visit again soon!!


No comments:

Post a Comment