Monday, October 22, 2012

An exchange of English

So I began actually assisting this past Wednesday! My first day as an assistant went splendidly on so many levels! I will be working 12 hours a week and get every Monday and Friday off! Pretty nice, huh?!  The kids seemed to like me a lot and the conversation went pretty well - I'm going to have to think of some fun teaching ideas for them. And I really like my professors I am working with, so generous and friendly.
Remember how I mentioned Didier - the excellent pastry chef - in my previous posts. Well, he just so happens to be friends with my professor Pascal and told Pascal that I could come work in his kitchen and help him with his English! I could even use the back door - something reserved only for friends! I was so thrilled to hear this news!! So on Wednesday morning before I headed to school, I stopped by Didier's shop - He was so excited to see me and told me to come back that afternoon at 4:00 and begin working! It was a fantastic start to my day and added to the excitement of my first day!
Plus, during the lunch hour one of the professors bought a galette au sugre for dessert from his shop! It was delicious - blonde in color and airy texture - mmmm I wish I had a piece now!

So at 4:00 I skipped on over to Didier's and entered through the back door ;) We started off with a bang! He had two boy apprentices working with him - both really nice! But Didier is so eager to learn English - it is so much fun! He let me do stuff immediately - gave me an apron to wear and everything. So I got to spread a very thin layer of dark chocolate on the slab of praline (only hazelnut and almond) and help cut them into squares with a special machine! We were having great exchange of English and French! I keep thinking to myself: "who am I? I can't believe that I, Hanna Gordon, am working in a French pastry kitchen not only helping a Frenchman learn English, but I am improving my French and learning amazing things!" It was incredibly wonderful! I also got to roll lots and lots of chocolate balls. And then dip squares of pralines in chocolate and do a little design on the top - it was very cool! Didier and I set up that I will come by every Wednesday and Friday afternoon and go to his Macaroon class on November 13th and make lemon and chocolate Macaroons! I could not stop smiling after I left - so very happy! He even gave me a little goody bag of the chocolates I help to dip and do the design on top! He also made me taste everything - I definitely am not complaining about that!
The Praline candies that I dipped in chocolate - they were DELICIOUS



So on Friday I went back to Didier's again and this time he was making animals and figures out of almond paste! And yes, he even let me make my own! First I started out making a rose. You have to roll the center of the flower a certain way, and man oh man, was it difficult for me to get! He had to get behind me and help me roll it with my hands! I also made a little cat of out almond paste too - did the eyes and everything! Very precise work! He is quite a master- it was amazing watching him work. He made stuff for Halloween too - little ghost and a grave stone - just for kicks and giggles! It was so fun! He also let me spread the chocolate for the chocolate medallions that go on top of his cakes and such! It was brilliant!
My first cat out of almond paste

my rose








I cannot wait to go back every week and have fun!!! Oh it was so wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. Great post and so happy you are getting time in French Bakery.

    Allen

    ReplyDelete